Re: Linux Journal

On Wed, 3 May 2000, John Corey wrote:
[...]
> practice exams for MCSE at my last job.  It was crazy some of the stuff
> they were asking, besides the propaganda people have already said.  You
> had to know exactly what the wording was in various menu items,
> View->Internet Options vs Tools->Options vs Edit->Preferences, or is the
> username box when creating a user labeled Name, Username, Login ID,
> etc.  I can sit down and do what's needed in front of a computer.  But
> to remember the exact wording?  Is it so horrible if I take 1/4 of a
> second to scan the various menus of an app?  If 66% of the RHCE is hands

When you're supporting a windows user over the phone, you need to be able to
tell them precisely what they're clicking on, or they'll do the wrong thing.
Trust me.  You think your users are somewhat intellignet until you tell them
to look for a menu that has something like "options or preferences" in it.
You'll be off the phone and in their office just in time to watch them say
"y" to the "Warning, all data on non-removable disk drive C: will be lost!"
prompt faster than you can say "I wish I just remembered the exact wording
in that app."

--Danny, who suports windows during the day (only for 1 more week, though!)