Re: problem w/ dhcpd at boot

Don Bowen said:
> For some reason, when I boot my linux box dhcpd is using eth0.  The
> dhcpd script has no reference to eth0, but instead uses eth1. After the
> system boots if I run ./dhcpd stop and then ./dhcpd start (from
> /etc/rc.d/init.d) everything is just as I want it to be. What am I
> missing?

That's just strange.

There's a config option "interface", according to this Linux Gazette
issue:

    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue28/gonnerman.html

So you could try something like

    interface "eth1";

in /etc/dhcpd.conf.  If you don't already have it, you should probably
have a "server-identifier" line too.  (See the LG article.)

Beyond that, I suppose you could try something like this:

    mv -i /usr/sbin/dhcpd /usr/sbin/dhcpd.orig
    printf '#!/bin/sh\n\nexec /usr/sbin/dhcpd.orig eth1\n' > /usr/sbin/dhcpd
    chmod 755 /usr/sbin/dhcpd

It's not pretty, but it should force it to use eth1.  :-)

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month