Re: GNOME 1.2

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 04:44:41PM -0500, Danny Sauer wrote:

> That said, I really like the default setup.  After I get some of the
> little bugs cleared up, I'll be making it the default environment in
> our linux labs.  The applications that come bundled work real nice,
> and the whole environment has a real clean look to it.  I personally
> hate KDE for bringing all of the bad things of windows with it, and now
> I think I have an environment that I can replace it with nicely.  The
> problem with gnome being unstable has not at all been an issue for me
> here, and I've been running it on one of the public machines for about
> two weeks of "intro to unix" class.  Next week when the programming
> classes start, I guess I'll find out if there are any real problems
> with it.  It's nice to have a working abiword and dia to go with a pretty
> nice sawfish setup without having to do much extra initial work.  Heck,
> I don't need windowmaker anymore (adding *={NoAppIcon=YES;}; to
> WMWindowAttributes was a hassle anyway)...

I've been debating playing with it; do I screw up a working desktop,
or try out the latest and greatest?  I think, after the positive
review, that I will capitulate.

> So far I'm real impressed with helix gnome's setup, but a little dissapointed
> with the installer on SuSE.  But I'm used to installs not working right
> with SuSE. :)  I'd bet if I was using turbolinux (the rpm's that the
> helix-installer installed on my SuSE 6.4) or redhat (shudder) or even
> debian it would've been a little smoother, and I'd be happier.

Debian users can add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/Debian woody main

(It's possible that Steve's mirror will also work, though I'd have to
find the initial URI for the repository.)

Then, run:

apt-get update
apt-get install task-helix-gnome