xfs problems yet again!

all-
i am getting yet another incident of my xfs server not being able to
start. when i try to run startx, i am given the error that the 'default
font "fixed" cannot be found'
i check to see if xfs is running and sure enough, it isnt. i went to
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d and ran ./S90xfs start, and it appears to start, however
startx returns the same error. I check the last 10 lines of
/var/log/messages and i find:

--> xfs startup succeeded:
--> Fatal font server error:
--> Cannot establish any listening sockets:

I am not running ipchains or anything that would prohibit tcp ports from
listening. I literally only restarted my machine :)

any thoughts?

cjm