diald

I have an older machine that I wanted IP masquerading and diald configured on.
(RH5.1 2.0.34 kernel).  I got the IP masquerading working.  finally got diald
to dial.  Problem: diald will not hang up.  I have played with the
configuration files quite a bit; nothing obvious. My only suspect is the if I
run ifconfig a couple of time, it appears that ppp0 is receiving a packet
every 5 seconds or so.  Since I don't think I am causing this to happen, it
appears that my ISP is sending the packet.  The phone.filter file seemed to
have some filters which I thought would cause the timers to ignore such
packets.  (oh, using diald16-o.16.5a-2.i386.rpm; the new one wanted libc.so.6
which isn't on this computer)

Does anyone have any suggestions to make diald work -- that is hang up after a
reasonable time?

Thanks
Alan