misc

I have been out of the loop on luci-discuss for about two months because
this BBS was rooted about two months ago and it's taken this long for them
to get back online. They were running a quite old version of BSDi, now
they are running freeBSD 4.0, which is good because it gives me a chance
to play with another unix without having to dedicate one of my own
computers to it.

Another thing about BSD, I have no doubts in it from a technical
standpoint, but the people who use it can bext be described as the most
amazing collection of assholes and jerks I have ever seen. I am
overgeneralizing here, but they claim to hate anything GNU or Linux, to
the exclusion of everything else. I've discovered that if there is a Linux
vs. Windows (or anything else) flame war, there is about a 100% that the
strongest supporters of the non Linux describe themselves as BSD users (of
course, nobody can figure out exactly what that means as they all use
Windows on their desktop (my favorite is the guy on this BBS who attacked
Linux and me every chance he got until I noticed that his login shell was
bash)). Anyhow, I have to wonder if the very anti-community stance of BSD
is why Linux is so popular today, and not stuff like 386BSD.

In an unrelated story, as I have not been reading luci-discuss, I didn't
notice that only the new-be night and not the Perl Mongers meeting was
canceled. I'm sure you were all dismayed by my lack of attendance. I'm
sorry I put you all through a meeting without me [insert emoticon here].

WARNING Pathetic attempt to add some content and a topic to this email
^^^^^^^ follows:

Does anyone here know of a good compiler book? I have heard good thing
from one person on IRC about a book about compilers, appearintl, it takes
one through the writing of a C compiler. This is exactly what I'm looking
for, but he can not positively identify the book. Has anyone read anything
along those lines? He thinks the title of the book might have been
_Compiler_Design_. Such a book does exist, but it  is a collage text
book. Text books are expensive and, generally as a rule, suck, so I am a
bit wary of buying it. Has anyone read this book, and, if so, what's your
take on it?

I had some more things to say which would qualify this as a 'misc' but I
am too tired to think of any at the moment (I slept for two hours last
night). I am staring up at the ceiling with my eyes closed as I type this
and it dosin't look like I have enough energy for ispell, so let me
apologize in advance for all for the typing and spelling errors.

At this point in time, my goal is to get across my room to my bed so I
don't end up sleeping on the floor again.

Jordan Bettis.
 "[the Word] Piracy: A wonderful piece of propaganda." -- Richard Stallman