Re: 24 bit to 16 bit

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 05:52:14PM -0800, Robert Threet wrote:
> Is there a quick file edit to change my X config to
> use 16 bit rather than 24 bit color?  I'm using SuSE

Indeed, all X server settings are in /etc/X11R6/XF86Config

There should be a DefaultColorDepth option in it somewhere, try setting
that to '16', also, you can start the xserver with the -depth option.
that's useful if you want to test out a color depth prior to committing
it to XF86Config.

One more thing of note, I read in the XF86Config man page that some clients
have trouble with '24' and switching to '32' would fix that, perhaps you
should try that first.

> and when you run Sax it doesn't seem to have my Voodoo
> 3 2000 card in the list.
>
> (Because Red Hat doesn't support my sound card that
> why)   :-)

I'm surprised by this, I thought Red Hat was really good at supporting
everything that Linux can support. Especially something like a soundcard
which usually dosen't need anything outside of the kernel driver to
be specific to it.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb/>