Re: make kernel config from existing kernel?

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 08:39:13PM -0500, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:
> i have a kernel that is running well on my system. however the
> /usr/src/linux directory and the .config file that was written when this
> kernel was created has been lost. is there anyway to recreate this .config
> file short of downloading new kernel source and then editing through
> menuconfig to restore the .config?
>
> i would like to add a couple of features to the existing kernel but do not
> look forward to having to munge through the entire config again.

If you'd like to spend a lot of extra time trying to save yourself a little
time (and what real sys admin/programmer wouldn't?), you could use the magic
of Perl (or your scripting language of choice) to compile a kernel with all
possible permutations of options, followed by a bit-by-bit comparison of the
resulting binary to determine if the resulting kernel was the same as the
original kernel, thereby determining the configuration used to generate the
original.

Given that some config options depend on earlier options, that might be kinda
complicated, but not too bad. :)

--Danny, offering little to no real help today