Re: My plan for getting Linux on the desktop (good luck) (fwd)

On Jun 14, 2001, Danny Sauer replied to Steven Pritchard:
>> I'm not even going to waste time responding to this one.
>> It's worse than the first, if only because now he gets
>> actual facts wrong instead of just having stupid opinions.
>
> Oh, c'mon.  Just because he says that free is bad (I guess
> that Communism is also bad, or something) and in the very
> next point mentions that major manufacturers could offer
> linux installs as a way to save money?  Or do you like
> the last point where he says that computers will cease
> to operate and software will no longer be developed if
> MS gets broken up?

For myself, I think it's simply how many of his arguments
I recall from when I began running an exclusively Linux
desktop, um, four years ago.  And if, as Steven pointed
out, it isn't laughable enough the guy makes predictions
on the basis of "there's at least a 50/50 probability,"
it's a prediction that dates back to early 1992...

"Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed
people hack away on a complicated piece of code and
avoid total anarchy has never managed a software project."
                                --Andrew Tanenbaum.