Re: Internet Connection Sharing

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 07:14:12PM -0500, Ben Story wrote:
> I'm moving back to campus this weekend and will be wanting to share a Cable connection with my new roommate.  Cash is a little tight right now so I'm not really wanting to buy a router or another NIC for my board.  Is there a way to share my connection just using one NIC and a switch?  Basically can I have one alias get a DHCP IP from the provider and the other alias have a static 192.168.x.x address for my internal LAN even though they're on the same NIC?

Nope.  I was gonna suggest hooking the machines up over the serial ports
(or parallel), but if you don't have cables, you're in for just about the
same cost as a cheap NIC.  Really, you can do a card for $15-$20 and be
in about as good of a situation as you would be with a $50 Intel/3-Com
card.

Anyway, you don't wanna be putting fake IPs out onto another network, and
you don't want to put the same IP on two seperate computers.  You *could*
use an IP that you're sure doesn't exist on the cable network, since there
should be no routing information there to direct back to you, and it would
probably work OK (if you used a 192.168 and they were on a 10.*, for example)
- but you really shouldn't.

If you're passing through Lincoln, I'll trade you a PCI (or ISA, if I have
one) NIC for mowing my lawn.  It's small, and I've got the mower all gassed
up...  Seriously.  It needs mowed, and I don't need a pile of extra NICs. :)

--Danny