Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

I come from the other end of this. Think of how many users Red Hat will
lose if associated with that bad word "AOL". (no offense to any
subscribers on this list intended). Linux people are fairly adamant about
their opinions, and RH's majority use of Linux will become a fraction of
what it once was if merged with anything related to AOL.

On a more interesting note, this also affects me and my work at LPI (and
of course my RHCE stuff too). LPI would become a competitor of Time
Warner/AOL. How wierd is that. As an RHCE, I have a feeling LPI will
benefit greatly from such an ill-advised move.

If such a thing happens, it will not be to the benefit of the Linux
community. In fact, I'd believe it would have absolutely nothing to do
with it. It would just be about the money involved. I'd really hate to see
this happen. Cygnus and all the other great projects that RH took over
would die.

No other Linux distribution vendor is quite prepared to stand up to the
plate and become the leading distribution. If such a merger would happen,
it would severely damage the community. I don't consider myself to be much
of a conspiracy theorist, but if anything I believe this would have enough
effect in the commercial market to let Microsoft win.

-Kara

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/