Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:01:59PM -0600 or thereabouts, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> Warner/AOL. How wierd is that. As an RHCE, I have a feeling LPI will
> benefit greatly from such an ill-advised move.

Good observation..

> If such a thing happens, it will not be to the benefit of the Linux
> community. In fact, I'd believe it would have absolutely nothing to do

> plate and become the leading distribution. If such a merger would happen,
> it would severely damage the community. I don't consider myself to be much
> of a conspiracy theorist, but if anything I believe this would have enough
> effect in the commercial market to let Microsoft win.

There has been a lot of talk on the RH egroup today, and a lot of the
"long time RH regular network" guys on the list have vowed to switch
distros if that goes through.  The sentiment is 100% against, with
everybody swearing they will switch distros... Some say AOL is looking
for another avenue to get at mickeysoft for an OS. Others, see it as a
platform for them to run on.

I think this would benefit SuSE, as it is the leading European distro by
far.  Mandrake, in my opinion, is just not smooth enough, or truly
stable enough for heavy duty Enterprise stuff yet.

Having just migrated over from SuSE to RH, (and still munging and
tinkering), my timing is tantamount to buying Enron stock.  <g>
--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: BREAKFAST.COM Halted - Cereal port not responding.