Setting color depth

Hi,
  I have some applications which I run remotely from some solaris boxen,
and there is sometimes a problem because of a mismatch of color depth
between the two machines. In the past I just started x on my linux machine
with startx -- -bpp 16 (or 8) and it worked just fine. I could even run
two different x sessions so that I had pretty x in one, and usefull in the
other (like startx -- :0 -bpp 24, switch to another console and then
startx -- :1 -bpp 8).

Now it does not seem to change the color depth. I'm now using XFree86
4.something and the Nvidia hardware driver, so it could be either of
those changes. Anyone know an answer?

eks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/