Re: Good motherboard

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:59:20PM -0600, Mark Blunier wrote:
> What are some of the CPU/Motherboard combinations that seem to be the
> most bulletproof?  I don't need a fast machine. I'm running an Athlon
> 500 now, and it seems plenty fast to me.

Oh, come on...  You know you *need* a nice dual Athlon MP box.  :-)

If you wanted to go that route, the Tyan Thunder K7 is a decent board,
but the Tyan Tiger apparently isn't (or so I'm told).  The Asus
A7M266-D should be a decent board, but I don't know anyone who has
tried one yet.  (It has the newer AMD 760MPX chipset, which should, at
least in theory, fix most of the problems with the 760MP.)  The MSI
K7D Master (MS-6501) also looks interesting.

For single-CPU, any board with any of the Intel chipsets should be
fine.  You can't go wrong with Intel boards, for that matter.

Lately I've been selling a lot of MSI Athlon boards...  MSI's quality
seems to have gone up considerably over the last couple of years.
Specifically, the K7T266 Pro (VIA KT266 chipset) seems decent enough,
especially for a VIA chipset board.  The K7 Master (AMD 761 chipset)
should be a safe bet too.  (Those are all single-CPU boards, BTW.)