Re: Linux Internet Server Project

Tim,

I am sure many others on this discussion group are more qualified to
answer your question, but I will tell you what I am doing, and you can
decide if your set up is similar.  I am not exactly clear as to what kind
of data you are acquiring from the win98 machines....  Here is what I am
doing:

I have a total of 7 machines on a network.  Two of these machines run
Windows, and the other Linux.

One of the machines is what I call the Server.  It has Red Hat linux 7.2.
I use it to store files, share printers, and share the internet.  This
server machine has a firewall set up.  If you only have one IP address
provided by your ISP, then you can use masquerading.  You can set the
firwall up to trust eth0 devices (devices on the LAN).  You can also open
the ssh (secure shell) port up to the internet.  For administering
purposes, SSH would be similar to TELNET, except is a secure protocol.
(You can roughly choose a security level for your firewall when you
install RedHat) I dont know what level of security you are looking for....
On my system, I am using a standard dialup modem instead
of a cable modem (We are just hicks who live in the sticks with the tics).
You will want to talk to someone who knows about cable modems, but I think
the procedure for setting up ipforwarding would be similar.

As far as gathering Data from the win98 machines...  What kind of data is
this going to be?  Is the user going to enter data on the windows 98
terminal, and that data is logged to an SQL database?  If that is the
case, you can do it with web pages.  The RedHat machine would run a web
server such as Apache, and you can use PHP and MySQL to write data into
the MySQL database (Or run database queries).  If the Windows 98 machines
are going to simply store files on the RedHat machine, then you will want
to check into SaMBa server.  SaMBa will allow the Red Hat machine to show
up in Network Neighborhood on the Windows 98 clients.  The Windows 98
clients could then access shares on the Red Hat machine.  ( As if you had
an NT mahine set up and right clicked and shared a folder on the C:
drive ).

I looks like you are also wanting customers from the INTERNET to be able
to access the APACHE server also, so when you set up your firewall, you
will want to allow internet connections to port 80.

I dont consider myself to be an expert with Linux (YET) but that might
give you a few things to think about.  I am sure there are others in this
discussion group who can give you better security tips.  You might want to
let us know exactly what kind of data you are needing to get from the
windows machines, and how you plan to get that data into the apache web
server.

You can have a program running that is pulling data from the windows
machines, build a string from this information which contains html codes,
and then write this string as a file with an html extension into a folder
that the Apache server can access.  Your program might pull data at
intervals of 5 minutes, 30 minutes, or whatever you specify.  If the data
changes quickly, you might want to put a tag in the html code which causes
the page to refresh every 60 seconds (or again... whatever interval you
specify).

I hope this makes sense to you.  I dont think you will have much of a
probblem, but if you are not familiar with Linux, and you are the one
working on the project, you might want to take an older machine to load
Linux on it, and see if you can get it to do what you are wanting, and
then you might feel more confident about the equipment you purchase.

Others might even recommend a totally different distribution of Linux...
I am just speaking from my own experience.

Good Luck!

Ricky Bryce