Re: Linux Internet Server Project

Tim,

What are the "embedded computers"?  I teach Allen Bradley PLC's.  PLC's
typically control industrial equipment, and are used for Data Acquisition.

I would be interested in how you are getting the data from the PLC into
the access database.  A variety of methods can be used.  Let me use the
example of how a PLC would get data to a hard drive on a windows 98
machine:

The PLC (programmable logic controller) will gather data (input) from
equipment such as a temperature from a heat zone (for extrusion
processes).  This temperature will arrive in the PLC at a memory location
such as N10:0.  Therefore N10:0 represents the temperature that a
thermocouple is reading.  Now the problem is going to be getting the value
of N10:0 from the PLC into an access Database in Windows 98.  There are
several ways this can be done.  You can use Visual Basic to set up a DDE
Link to a communication server program such as RSLinx.  Visual Basic can
then set the value of N10:0 equal to a string such as zonetemp$.  Now
zonetemp$ can be written into a database.

(This is an example of one way to get the information into the database).
Another way would be to use MMI software such as RSView, Intellution, or
Wonderware.

Maybe you can explain how the data is getting from the "embedded computer"
into the access database on the win98 machine if you know.  I used quotes
around embedded computer because I am not sure what exactly this is.

Whatever method you are using to get the data from the embedded computer
to the access database, may be used to get the data into MySQL.

I believe Rockwell software makes a unix compatable communication server
called INTERCHANGE which could run on Linux, I am not sure.  We would have
to check into that.  I am not sure what your budget is, but my guess is
that INTERCHANGE software could cost upwards of $2000 or more.  We will
try to find a way around that, but need some more information.

I know it is very difficult when you are not sure where to start, but if
we can continue to post questions and answers, we will probably get
somewhere.

Pulling the data from the Win98 Access Database to put into a Linux SQL
server probably isn't going to be a problem, but I think you are wanting
to write the information to the Linux box in the first place and not store
it on the win98 machine, right?

In order to do that, we will have to know what is writing to that access
database on the windows 98 machine, and get the software reconfigured to
write to the Linux machine.

Hha  I just configured PINE and noticed that my email address is set up
as my wife's.  I will get that corrected.

Talk to you later!

Ricky