slightly off topic Apache question

Uh... is a Win32 installation of Apache too off topic?  :-)
 We are seeing the following behavior:  When several people
try to access a cgi script, they get "Filename is not
valid" until they click refresh.  The Apache logs are
showing truncated the cgi request and ending with a "|".
Not sure if the logging mechanism is doing this or what.
Has anybody seen this behavior?  It shouldn't be the load -
it's a Compaq server with SCSI drives.  The CGI is binaries
(written in C or something).  There might be some latency
coming from the segment they are on but I would expect a
different error message.  Anybody have any clues?