Samba, PAM, PDCs and NT

I've been struggling with the age old battle of unifying logins across platforms.  I work for my university's computer science divison.  We run our own special purpose lab of NT 4.0 and Linux workstations as well as Solaris, Linux, NT, and AIX servers.  We have setup a solution using nsswitch, ldap and pam_smb that allows us to auth our students against the main campus PDC while rejecting users not in our ldap data.  Our problem is figuring out how to make the NT workstations do the same thing without having access to the main student domain (ie we're not domain admins so groups aren't available to us).

In pursuit of this goal, we setup a samba server as a PDC hoping to use it as a passthrough to the pam_smb solution we have for the *nix boxes.  Unfortunately pam can't handle encrypted passwords and the samba PDC code can't run clear text.

What I'm looking for is a solution that would allow the NT boxes to be authenticated against the main student PDC while being checked against our list of acceptable users.

Any help that the group can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Oh and in case it matters, I don't get paid for this work so you're not helping me in a real job.

--
Benjamin Story
Windows 95: n. a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit hack to an 8 bit operating system,