using ssh with alternate port to access remote cvs repository

I'm thinking that my cvs syntax may be off for this attempt at accessing a
remote project using ssh.

My .bashrc has

 export CVS_RSH='/usr/bin/ssh'

However, the remote machine is running ssh on an alternate port rather
than tcp/22. I tried setting the CVS_RSH value to '/usr/bin/ssh -p222' but
when I run my cvs checkout command line, I get a complaint saying that it
'can't find the command'. The cederqvist doc shows in section 2.9 that you
can specify a different port in your cvs command line, however it looks as
though this is only valid when the remote machine is running pserver or
kserver.

Can someone point out my error in trying to connect? Thanks -c