Re: Distros (byte-ranging)

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 10:14:09PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 20:29, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 02:05:43PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > > FTP needs to die, period.
> >
> > And with that, I'd like to declare this thread officially dead.
>
> Yes, master.

Heh, I was implying that your reply was comprehensive. I plan to use it
as evidence when arguing aginst ftp in the future.

> > In a related note, I have a few not-technically-advanced shell users
> > on one of my systems, and they'd like to upload files to the
> > system. What's the easiest way for them to do this? Pscp seems pretty
> > GAR to me, mainly because command.com is such an ass shell. It'd be
> > nice if there were a gui scp program for Windows.
>
> There's always HTTP PUT.  Crude, but effective.  Plus, you can put
> directions for use right in the upload page.

Hrmm, that'd be an interesting replacement for anonymous FTP. In my
case, I have users with shell accounts and they need a way to upload
files. Winscp will do nicely.

> It shouldn't be hard to write a SAFT Windows client, perhaps even a
> drag-and-drop clock icon thingy.

I've actually not used SAFT. A number of friends of mine are setting
up UUCP over SSH links to eachother, and I'm using it for mail from
my laptop (postfix on the laptop delievers sent mail to a UUCP spool
that gets delivered when I get online). UUCP is actually a really
awesome protocol.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom. It is the