Re: Boot startup question

> I used the command "locate" to find all the directories that contained the
> file rc.firewall. One of the directories is the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory
> so this is the file modified to open port 995 because I thought this was the
> directory of scripts that get executed upon startup.

Yes, it is (partly).

You will need to create links from /etc/rc#.d (where # is the runlevel number).
CLI is 3, GUI is 5, usually. The links will be to start (S##firewall) and
stop (K##firewall) the service, respectively.

You should see if your system has the RedHat-originated utility 'chkconfig'.
This program uses a simple comment line in your script in init.d and will
automatically sync up the symbolic links from the appropriate runlevels.

> Now I have to manually cd to that directory and type the command bash
> rc.firewall to get the firewall going after a reboot.

See above.

> I think the firewall is going but I think it's the firewall script that
> doesn't have the modification to open port 995.
>
> Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Learn a bit more about what rules your firewall script actually implements,
and then get over to http://www.shorewall.net/

Replace your firewall with Shorewall. It's easier to understand what
your firewall is actually doing, and adding a new rule is a simple edit
to a text file. Make sure you read the excellent docs. They come with the
tarball, but are installed in /usr/share/doc/shorewall-####, and are HTML
(it's the actual Shorewall.net website). Tom Eastep has the best FW docs
I've seen.

Mike808/