Re: Linux Thin Clients

Previously Benjamin Story (bstory@bullets.net):

> Does anyone have any ideas for alternative projects or on how to
> troubleshoot that error?  I would use a simple bootable CD and just
> type rdesktop server.blah.com but I don't think the intended users
> would find that as intuitive as just seeing a W2K screen pop up like
> PXES does.

While I haven't done it on the bootable CD (for which a modified
version of Knoppix would easily fit the bill), I have several
Debian boxes set up that start X and run a program - such as
rlogging into another box, or starting X, then starting a web
brower, with or without a window manager depending on how much
access to the machine I want to let the users have.  The basic
method is to have inittab set up to su to a user, start X which
runs one program, or start X and have the .bashrc start the
program of interest.  If the program is exited, the session ends,
then init respawns another session.  I have this setup at work,
so if your interested, I can send you copies of the scripts and
such from there.

Mark