Steve - Hardware Question

If this is too off topic I'll submit myself for a beating at the next
meeting.

I have an old Compaq Prosignia 124 Laptop - P300 160megs of ram.

It worked well but I suspect the hard drive is faulty now. I can't tell
for sure and was wondering if you had an extra lying around that you
could bring to the meeting so I could pop it in as a test to see if that
cures the problem.

Could be the motherboard in which case the system would be totaled but I
would like to at least eliminate the HD as being the culprit if you have
an extra to test it with.

Best Buy will send it off for a non refundable 26 dollars to diagnose it
so I can replace the faulty part on my own but if it turns out to be the
motherboard it's just not worth it. I'm almost willing to take the 26
dollar gamble because it worked so well up until it quit.

If I could pop a hard drive in it and to salvage it, then Rita could use
it as a word processor in the bedroom.

Thanks,
--John