Re: Was Lindows/now question on Debian

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 23:42, Gary wrote:
> Have a question on Debian, Woody is now the stable release, I was curious
> as to what version of the 2.4 kernel comes with that?

It appears to come with 2.4.18 and 2.4.16.  Of course, you can compile
your own kernel; Debian even provides some infrastructure to make that
easier.

Note that it's likely that 2.4.18 as distributed by Debian has security
fixes normally distributed in later versions.

> I was thinking
> about trying Debian again.  Last time I used it was with Progeny, and
> loved that distro.  I know you were instrumental in that, in fact, I think
> I talked to you a few times by phone in Indianapolis..

Glad to hear you liked it.

> I am really sorry
> Progeny didn't get to make a go of it. It was an extremely "smooth"
> distro, and very fast.

You might like woody then; we contributed most of our work on Progeny
Debian back to the Debian project.  You can, for example, get CDs with
the Progeny installer (now called PGI) that install woody.  The site is
http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi.

Progeny Debian was a good product, I thought, but the economics of
moving boxes of product just didn't make sense for us.  But a lot of the
ideas we had with it aren't dead, and Progeny itself certainly isn't
dead.

--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>