Re: forcing no lookups on certain zones

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:54:41PM -0600, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> is there a manner of setting my server up to think it is master for these
> zones, but prevents the actual queries, or doesnt require the server to
> load in zone entries for each rfc1918 ip address?

If I'm understanding your question, why not do this:

In /etc/named.conf:

    zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

    zone "16.172.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

    zone "17.172.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

    [... (18-29).172.in-addr.arpa ...]

    zone "30.172.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

    zone "31.172.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

    zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.empty";
    };

Then in /var/named (or whatever directory you have named.conf pointing
to), create db.empty with only this:

    @	IN	SOA	localhost. root.localhost. (
    			1	; serial
    			10800	; refresh
    			3600	; retry
    			604800	; expire
    			86400 )	; minimum

In other words, a valid SOA, but nothing else (except maybe a NS
record).  That should make named return an authoritative NXDOMAIN for
any lookup in those zones immediately.