PLIP config problem

I have a P100 notebook with 24MB of RAM that I am trying to load Tiny
Linux on (a distro for small PCs).  I have the system bootable, but
it has no CD ROM or network card.  The final stage of the load calls
for a PLIP connection to another Linux box.

I got a Belkin PC to PC parallel cable and loaded parport,
partport_pc and plip on the remote system.  No problem.  Then I did
the same on the "Tiny" PC - it didn't work.  The /proc/parport/0/irq
was set to none.  I changed it to 7 and then plip loaded but was
unable to ping the remote system (strangely, it *did* ping it 7 times
then stopped).  The interface showed erros on the Tiny side.  None on
the remote.

I used "ifconfig plip0 172.16.0.1 pointopoint 172.16.0.2 netmask
255.255.255.255 up" on the remote and then switched the addresses for
Tiny.

I figured the PLIP device was setup wrong so I tried to rmmod the the
modules but I can't get parport and parport_pc to unload.  Would
there something besides plip using it?  I took down the plip
interface and unloaded it.  I even unloaded lpd.

Clues needed.

=====
http://linux.usi.edu:8080/LUG  Web Log
http://linux.usi.edu/rat/  My Page