From: Dan Fleischer [mailto:dan.fleischer@bank-and-trust.com]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 5:02 PM
To: luci-discuss@luci.org
Subject: Gateway warranty

Wednesday or Thursday of last week we had a power outage in part of our
building.  Some of the computers (the first one I noticed was a Gateway
business PC) had problems coming back up, so I called Gateway for help.
The tech determined that the problem was a bad power supply and put
through an order for a replacement, telling me that someone would visit
me the next day as part of the 'next business day' warranty.

A few minutes later, while still on the phone, I found out that several
other computers around the corner, some of which were not Gateway, were
having the same problem.  It turns out that one of the three phases of
power coming into our building went out and we were only getting 24VAC
instead of 120VAC out of the outlets.  I let the phone tech know, and as
soon as the power was fixed the PCs came up fine.  He canceled the order
for the power supply and we went our merry ways.

Today I get a replacement power supply for a Gateway PC and determine
from calling them that it was for the order that should have been
canceled.  I then asked why, if it was a next business day warranty, did
the part not come for over a week.  The customer service rep said that
next business day applies to when the warehouse gets the order from
customer service to send out a part - it could still take several days
for the customer service department to process the initial order.

'Next business day' seems to have a different meaning to Gateway than
for the rest of the world.  Is my experience unique or is this SOP for
them?

--
Dan Fleischer
Systems Administrator