Re: Hard Drives and Old Motherboards

On Saturday 22 March 2003 17:08, Tim McDonough wrote:
> Question: With one of these older BIOS computers what's
> normally the biggest HD they will deal with? It won't
> recognize a 30 GB I tried. 7.5 GB total is probably plenty for
> this test mule but I'm just curious. The BIOS date on the POST
> is 1995.

Prior to the current limit of 160GB, I believe the previous
limit was 2.1GB.  IIRC, the 2.1GB limit is only per partition,
so if you create multiple partitions, each under the limit,
you shouldn't have any problems.

Note that you'll probably also need to keep your boot
partition under the 1024-cylinder limit.

-Tilghman