Re: gnome-terminal 'w' output

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 06:49, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> When I use xterm the output from a 'w' command seems to show all other
> xterm sessions opened within X:
>
> root     :0       -                 4:55am   ?     0.00s   ?     -
> root     pts/3    -                 5:54am 12.00s  0.24s  0.24s  bash
> root     pts/4    -                 5:54am  0.00s  0.25s  0.02s  w
>
> This is not the case when using gnome-terminal. Is there a method of
> emulating this style output using the latter terminal? I do not have a man
> page for gnome-terminal and the output from gnome-terminal --help doesnt
> seem to indicate there is a flag that would perform this.

GNOME 1.x or 2.x?  The gnome-terminal program has changed quite a bit
between versions.

In GNOME 1.x, there is a "--utmp" command-line argument.  The utmp
database is where the information w(1) and other commands get
information about who is logged in.  You might also consider using
"--wtmp"; this stores information about your login in the wtmp database,
which is intended for storing login history (see last(1)).

In GNOME 2.x, you need to set this in your profile.  Choose "Edit |
Profiles" from the menu, pick the Default profile, and click the "Edit"
button.  Choose the "Title and Command" tab, and check the box entitled
"Update utmp/wtmp records when command is launched".  This changes the
behavior of gnome-terminal permanently, so you shouldn't need to do it
every time you start gnome-terminal.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>