Static IP Address Question

I have a box running RH 8.0 that uses DHCP provided by my D-Link hame
gateway. All is well, email, web, etc. all work just fine.

I wanted to experiment a little with Apache so I tried to change to a fixed
IP address on my home LAN. I put in the address I chose, DNS server names,
default gateway, etc. during the install and configured the D-Link with the
same IP address I chose for the Linux box (matched to the MAC address of the
card.)

Before ever getting to the Apache part the box cannot connect to the
internet. I'm 99% sure the D-Link is setup correctly because when I use the
same fixed IP on a Win98se machine it works fine.

I'm certain I have something either mis-configured or not configured on the
Linux side of things. The Linux books I have skirt through this without a
good explanation assuming you're letting DHCP take care of everything.

Suggestions on where to look? Any recommended "static IP for newbies"
documents someone can point me towards?

Thanks,

Tim