no /var/log/maillog

I am running Redhat's sendmail-8.12.8-5.80 on a Redhat 8.0 machine.
Strangely, no /var/log/maillog is created when sendmail is started.
Manually touching the file and chmod 600, the file remains empty even
though the machine is passing a fair amount of port 25 traffic.
I have tried returning the machine to an out of the box redhat sendmail
configuration, only changing the cf file to listen on an address other
than 127.0.0.1 and still no change.
Can someone provide some troubleshooting sets to find out just what is
happening? The entries to /var/log/messages certainly appear as completely
normal.

thank you.