Re: LUCI Meeting Tuesday Agenda

You're right, there aren't a lot of MS Access-like clients for MySQL.
Fluid data-entry is a function for a client, not the database itself.
There is a program (pgaccess) that attempts to do an Access-like system
for PostgreSQL, unfortunately I haven't seen anything similar for MySQL.

It's been a long time since I've done any type of work with Access, but
isn't there a way to tell it that a field is a memo or longvarchar (or
whatever they're calling it).  That may get you past the 255
characters.  It may be an ODBC problem (again, it's been awhile).

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 15:11, John Wolgamot wrote:
> Erich Schroeder <erich@museum.state.il.us> wrote ..
>
> >   Along with the usual general discussions, I thought I would demonstrate
> > the new features to phpMyAdmin, a general web-based interface to the
> > relational database MySQL.
>
> I was fooling around with MySQL and actually got somewhere with it.
>
> When I realized that MS Access had a limitation of 255 charactors in any given field. I couldn't figure a way around this limitation and I realized this wouldn't allow for the long descriptions I was going to need space for.
>
> So I started looking at MySQL and it didn't take me long to realize that manually setting up a database, tables etc... through the command line is restricted to aliens. (People with advanced minds)
>
> I looked at several MySQL GUI clients such as MySQL-Front as well as phpMyAdmin.
>
> So... I'm looking forward to this evenings demo and discussion.
>
> Ok now I'm just going to babble.
>
> phpMyAdmin looked extremely cool but the installation looked like a daunting task for a newbie like me so I set it aside until I could gain the experience to actually install it without screwing up my "working" server. I don't have the expertise to get the server working again in a timely manner if I mess it up too bad so I shy away from the stuff which appears to be too far over my head.
>
> In the MySQL quest I found that there doesn't seem to be a good data entry client. The clients seem to be geared towards maintenance of the databases rather than fast and fluid data entry.
>
> Most databases allow you to create data entry screens which allow the fluid entry of data and anticipate the users next move etc...
>
> In the case of MySQL it appears that the best way to get the data in is to do the data entry offline and then import it into MySQL.
>
> These are only my observatios as a newbie so I'm probably short sighted.

Todd Davis (tdavis@msfw.com)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE #807101281603181)