Re: Insight Broadband

> I have to set my browser (galeon) to use the http proxy
> sas.r31.insightbb.com:8000 with the exception *.r31.insightbb.com.

This should be something you set in the browser settings.

In Mozilla, this is in: Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Proxies
and setup the "Manual proxy configuration" for HTTP and the exception.
You probably also want to add in localhost, and 127.0.0.1.

The exception is so that you don't proxy requests to their proxy farm
servers themselves. You may want to run your own privoxy (fka JunkBuster
or GuideScope) locally, and also block ads and/or tracking cookies
issued with "webbug" images. But modern browsers (except IE) have the
ability to manage cookies and images much better than in the past.

And the reason they want you to use their package for setup is probably
because they have IE setup to pull an Automatic Proxy Configuration URL
which sets this up in IE. Mozilla also has a similar feature (but
different format, of course, so they probably didn't do any more work
than was needed to get IE to run properly). I don't know about Galeon
having an auto-proxy setup file/URL. Same for Opera or Konqueror.

Mike/