Re: Tonight's meeting

I have not looked at Movix, just glanced through the web page. I picked
Media Linux out because I was looking for a cd-based distribution that had
blender installed. I found two based on Knoppix, Media Linux and
Cluster-Knoppix. It looks as though Media Linux is just a rebuild of
Knoppix, removing all the games and adding in lotsa graphic/audio/video
players/recorders/editors. I think it also cut down on the number of
office suites.

We have not reinstalled linux on the TechCenter machines after they had
been moved from Win98 to Win2K, so I'm really just experimenting with the
CD-based options.

eks

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 mike808@mail3411.b0.com wrote:

> > "Media Linux"
>
> Have you compared that to say, Movix? I think this project is closer to Knoppix
> than MediaLinux, but has a different take, at least as I understand Knoppix'
> usefulness. Not to take anything away from Knoppix or MediaLinux, kpx is a very
> cool distro.
>
> Is ML more of a "Knoppix with a media *creation* focus" distro? i.e. Gimp,
> sound and video editing tools, codecs, etc.?
>
> Movix is more of a "pseudo-Knoppix with a media *playback* focus" distro. It's
> aim is to be able to pop in the boot CD into a CD/DVD drive, and then once
> running, pop in your media CD/DVD and play. And that's where Knoppix' uber-cool
> auto-detect/configuration would come in handy. Although Movix is not based on
> Knoppix. :=(
>
> Unfortunately, I'd like to attend, but alas, Springfield is a bit far, and I'm
> going to the Cards game tonight. Will anything you present/discuss at the
> meeting be online afterwards? an IRC log? the presentation? posted here?
>
> Mike/

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/