Re: Tonight's meeting

I'm sorry that you can't make it. I'd sure like to meet with someone who
really knows blender. We've worked a little bit with Maya here, but I'm
the only one who putzes around in blender. We work with the Science Museum
of Minnesota on some grants, and they have workshops for high school
students where they teach 3d modeling and animation using blender (running
on some old SGIs they had donated). We started trying to work out
something like that, but decided that the blender interface was a bit
obscure for the age-groups that we were dealing with at that time, so
opted for something called "Rhino" (on windows).

Erich

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Waylena McCully wrote:

> I never make it to meetings because I am in Champaign and taking night
> classes,
> but I want to say that I'm glad to see Blender being introduced. I've
> been using Blender
> for the last three years, first on Windows and now on both (Linux at
> home, Windows at
> work). In fact, it was the Blender community that initially got me
> interested in Linux.
>
> The graphics and animations I create with Blender are appearing in many
> of our newer
> Planetarium shows. There's a built-in editor that has some neat
> compositing tools, and
> many output options. The interface is indimidating at first, but well
> worth it.
>
> For anyone who's interested, there's more information on Blender
> available at
> www.blender.org  (the official site) and www.elysiun.com  (the most
> active community site).
>
> Have fun!
>
> -Waylena
>

> Waylena M. McCully,
> Production Designer/Producer
> William M. Staerkel Planetarium
> (217) 403-4596
> wmccully@parkland.edu

> Hi all,
>   I have come across a repackaging of Knoppix, going by the name of
> "Media
> Linux". This contains all of the multimedia packages available under
> Debian. I thought that I would have it running on a number of the
> machines
> in the Technology Learning Center of the ISM RCC, so maybe we can
> wander
> together through the variety of programs available.
>   This version of Knoppix also contains the 3d modeling/animation
> software
> called "blender" so I can also give a very basic introduction to this
> powerful (and confusing) software.
>
>   As usual, the meeting will be at the Illinois State Museum Research
> and
> Collections Center, located at 1011 East Ash Street, and accessed from
> 10
> 1/2 street.
>
> Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/