Re: Fedora Core == Linux?

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:34:53PM -0000, bja@Illinois.DynDNS.Org wrote:
> Granted FreeBSD has a much better system update/migration mechanism via:
> "cvsup supfile && make world && reboot" and then run "portupgrade -a" after
> reboot, but Linux distributions, specifically redhat/fedora, provide a
> relatively painfree method of moving to a new, supported version.

Personally, I'm rather fond of "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade", which actually seems to work on a RH 7.3 -> FC 1
upgrade, and very nearly works going from RH 9 -> FC 1.  With all the
fans of apt and yum out there, Red Hat is being pressured into making
"live" upgrades work correctly on future FC releases.  In addition,
they really want it to work right anyway, since they're strongly
suggesting that interested people run development (AKA rawhide) now.