Re: dns forwarding

Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:00:22PM -0600, Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>So, let's say that I have 2 DNS servers running bind 8.x.
>
> I'd say upgrade them to 9.x before they're rooted.  :-)

I'm not too worried about someone r00ting my 10.1.1.x name servers - but
the point's well taken... ;)

>>If one's asked to resolve a domain and it doesn't have that domain in
>>its cache, I want it to ask the other before initiating a full
>>recursive lookup on an internal machine's behalf.
>
> You might want to ask on a BIND list, but I really don't think what
> you want to do can be done.  I think you're stuck with each named
> looking up any given address once on its own.
>
> Generally speaking, resolvers aren't handled round-robin anyway, so
> the first nameserver listed (either in resolv.conf or DHCP) is going
> to get most of the traffic.

Curses.  I can control resolv.conf, but I didn't think that the DHCP
server was required to give out the name servers in any particular
order.  So, I don't know for sure that all of the machines are getting
the same main server.  They probably are, and my situation is far from
"overloading" the name servers, but it just strikes me as kinda crummy
to not take advantage of local data when possible.

Eh, I'm off to find a bind discussion list.

Thanks.
-Danny