Re: Distros with 2.6

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:00:38PM +0000, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> MDK10 is available *today*. Why wait 2 months?

I really wasn't trying to make a judgement about Mandrake, just
pointing out another data point.

The main reason FC2 isn't available today is the SELinux integration,
which Red Hat apparently thinks is going to be very important in the
next RHEL release.  It still has some issues to work out before the
FC2 release, and I have a feeling it will have a whole bunch of issues
to work out after the release.

> Call me skeptical, but I take *all* FLOSS "release schedules" with a
> grain of salt. Otherwise you're right back to believing Microsoft
> release schedules, too.

Red Hat isn't even pretending that the schedule is exact, but at this
point it should be no more than a couple of weeks off *unless* there's
a *really* major bug somewhere.

> The only thing that can help FLOSS release schedules is if you're in
> there writing code or documentation or testing or packaging to make it
> happen sooner.

Red Hat is publishing the FC release schedule specifically to get
people testing it.  If I had a new/test server, I'd probably give it a
try (not in production though).  I'm thinking about trying it out my
laptop, but FC1 works so well on it (finally) that I'm not even sure
I'll risk that.  (I have installed a rawhide kernel on one of my less
important servers though, so I'm not *totally* scared of it.  :-)

Somewhat off-topic, I've been insanely busy lately trying to get some
things pushed into the fedora.us repository...

  https://bugzilla.fedora.us/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&emailreporter1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=steve%40kspei.com

(Or http://tinyurl.com/2ejxf if you prefer.)  If anyone wants to help
me out, all of those packages need QA...

  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy