Re: MS SFU and Demonizing Sys Admin -- WAS: Xandros reviews

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:02:38PM -0600, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Well, I guess "LinuxWorld" is "sold out" too

They don't have to.  They are The Man.  :-)

There just isn't comparison between any of the Linux conferences in
the late '90s (which were community events) to LinuxWorld.  LinuxWorld
is purely a big-corporate event, no different than things like Comdex
except in focus.

That's not to say that LinuxWorld isn't enjoyable...  I rather liked
the one I went to in NYC a couple of years back.  It just didn't
compare to the (relatively) small gatherings of Linux geeks that used
to happen on a regular basis, where on any given day you could listen
to a presentation by people like Alan Cox and Ted Ts'o, or just
stumble into a conversation with them.

That's one of many reasons I like the Linux Lunacy cruise:

  http://www.geekcruises.com/top/ll4_top.htm

Last year's was the first chance I'd had to talk to Ted Ts'o and Keith
Packard in *years*.

I'm also hoping to make it to OLS this year...  It sounds like it is
more like the old conferences.

  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2004/