Re: MS SFU and Demonizing Sys Admin -- WAS: Xandros reviews

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 08:35, Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>Yeah, it's completely understandable for SA - "The journal for UNIX
>>systems administrators" - to have a giant advertisement for MS Windows
>>2003 server containing an install disk (for 2K3 server - SFU is
>>something else you can download if you don't want cygwin's more current

  [...]

> So if you really want to demonize Sys Admin, I don't really understand
> it.  Especially after the nominations and awards SFU is getting from
> conferences like LinuxWorld.  Yes, SFU doesn't do much compared to even
> just MacOS X Server, let alone a _real_ Freedomware solution, but it's
> not bad for Micrsooft.  So get off the Sys Admin demonizing, okay?
>
> -- Bryan

SysAdmin didn't bundle SFU - they bundled Windows 2003 server and a
training disk for windows 2003 server, neither of which include SFU.
SFU is great (kinda), Linux is great, kdevelop is great, the small block
chevrolet interchange manual is great - none of those are what was
bundled!  Anyway, there's really no demonizing - I like Sysadmin
Magazine, and I still subscribe.  I'm merely *surprised* that they opted
to prominently include an advertisement for something that is of little
to no use to most of their readership.  I suppose that does imply that
the CDs are just there because someone (MS) paid quite a bit to have it
bundled, but SA has gotta make a buck too, so that's fine.  That's why
there was a winkie icon after "sold out" in the original post.  It was
humor - how would selling out to MS actually compensate for losing the
completely unrelated Perl Journal?  Funny, eh?

This is not Slashdot, and we're not all a bunch of crazy zealots who
automatically hate everything even remotely associated with MS.  Well,
except for the Debian people and Emacs users - they're usually crazy
zealots... ;)  So get off the "reading that into posts", okay? :)

--Danny, apparently letting his aggravation - over a recent transmission
swap gone bad - seep into his LUCI postings this month...