resolver problems

So, let's say that I'm having trouble loading a page on my SuSE
workstation - danny-pc.  I look up a hostname, and it resolves fine.  I
then click a link in firefox, and it says that the host can't be found.
  Then, when I use host, it tells me that somehow it can't find the host
anymore.

dsauer@danny-pc:/tmp> host ecomm.dell.com
ecomm.dell.com is an alias for gecomm.ins.dell.com.
gecomm.ins.dell.com has address 143.166.224.35
dsauer@danny-pc:/tmp> host ecomm.dell.com
Host ecomm.dell.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I can wait a few seconds (which is presumably the negative cache timeout
on my dns server (bind9-9.1.2-3 on SuSE 7.2 - it oughtta be updated
someday)) and the host resolves again, but then as soon as I click the
link in firefox the host mysteriously stops resolving.  I can look the
host up on any of the sprint forwarders my DNS server is pointed at, and
they all resolve the name fine, but if I don't specify a dns server it
refuses to resolve.  If I specify my default name server, it returns the
NXDOMAIN message.  I'm running nscd on both machines, but have
"enable-cache hosts no" on both.  Turning off nscd doesn't do anything
but slow down passwd/group resolution.  Konqueror has the same problem
as firefox.

If I change my resolv.conf around to use the secondary name server as
primary (bind-9.2.1-9 on a redhat 9 install), I get the same results.
However, firing up vmware on this machine with a separate IP address
(not NATTed, in other words) and loading the same page under firefox on
win2K works fine.  Same version of the browser, same physical network
card, etc.

What the heck is going on here?  Any ideas?  I stuck the options section
below in case I've left something obvious out.  Maybe SuSE has something
against Dell and poisons the DNS when I make http requests there? :)

Thanks.
--Danny

---excerpt from named.conf---
options {