Re: resolver problems

Are you using squid as a proxy, if so, is it pointing to some crummy
server?

Are your root servers in you named.ca file good and up-to-date?

eks

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Danny Sauer wrote:

> So, let's say that I'm having trouble loading a page on my SuSE
> workstation - danny-pc.  I look up a hostname, and it resolves fine.  I
> then click a link in firefox, and it says that the host can't be found.
>   Then, when I use host, it tells me that somehow it can't find the host
> anymore.
>
> dsauer@danny-pc:/tmp> host ecomm.dell.com
> ecomm.dell.com is an alias for gecomm.ins.dell.com.
> gecomm.ins.dell.com has address 143.166.224.35
> dsauer@danny-pc:/tmp> host ecomm.dell.com
> Host ecomm.dell.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> I can wait a few seconds (which is presumably the negative cache timeout
> on my dns server (bind9-9.1.2-3 on SuSE 7.2 - it oughtta be updated
> someday)) and the host resolves again, but then as soon as I click the
> link in firefox the host mysteriously stops resolving.  I can look the
> host up on any of the sprint forwarders my DNS server is pointed at, and
> they all resolve the name fine, but if I don't specify a dns server it
> refuses to resolve.  If I specify my default name server, it returns the
> NXDOMAIN message.  I'm running nscd on both machines, but have
> "enable-cache hosts no" on both.  Turning off nscd doesn't do anything
> but slow down passwd/group resolution.  Konqueror has the same problem
> as firefox.
>
> If I change my resolv.conf around to use the secondary name server as
> primary (bind-9.2.1-9 on a redhat 9 install), I get the same results.
> However, firing up vmware on this machine with a separate IP address
> (not NATTed, in other words) and loading the same page under firefox on
> win2K works fine.  Same version of the browser, same physical network
> card, etc.
>
> What the heck is going on here?  Any ideas?  I stuck the options section
> below in case I've left something obvious out.  Maybe SuSE has something
> against Dell and poisons the DNS when I make http requests there? :)
>
> Thanks.
> --Danny
>
> ---excerpt from named.conf---
> options {
>      directory "/var/named";
>      forward first;
>      recursion yes;
>      forwarders {
>          204.117.214.10; # ns1.sprintlink.net
>          199.2.252.10;   # ns2.sprintlink.net
>          204.97.212.10;  # ns3.sprintlink.net
>          };
>      allow-recursion {
>          lodge;
>          127.0.0.1;
>          # 0.0.0.0/0;
>          };
>      notify yes;
>      allow-transfer {
>          slaves;
>          };
>      transfer-format many-answers;
>      //listen-on-v6 { any; };
>      listen-on-v6 { none; };
> };
>
> acl lodge {
>      10.1.1.0/24;
>      };
> [...]

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/