Advansys SCSI Controller and Fedora 2 kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2

Hi, just some general information,

  Last week I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and rendered my FC2
system unbootable. I had been using the atp from fedora.us, which allows
automatic kernel updating, and doesn't allow duplicate copies of the
kernel to be installed.

  I was due for reinstallation anyway on my desktop machine (too much
cruft) so I don't mind greatly, but.

  The kernel#2.6.7-1.494.2.2 errata kernel does not include the advansys
module, so during the installation it failed and does not complete the
update of /etc/grub.conf. Apt had, however, gotten to the point of
removing the original kernel and entry in grub.conf. Trying simple rescue
and reinstallion of an earlier kernel didn't work right because grubby
couldn't find a template. If apt is configured to allow duplicate copies
of kernel, it just fails to add the new kernel to grub.conf but leaves the
system rebootable. So I have learned:

  It's good to keep the kernel upgrades done by hand

  I'm very glad that several years ago I started keeping my data and OS on
different partitions, even though I sometime run low on space.

  Pretty soon it will be time to replace the advansys card with something
else, I guess. I'm actually not using the card at the moment, but when I
do it runs an old scanner, luckily not an important hard drive.

There is more information on dealing with this at:

http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/drivers/advansys/

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/