Re: Fedora and Vmware workstation 5

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 23:35 -0500, Benjamin Story wrote:
> I had VMWare Workstation 5.0 installed fine on FC4.  You have to install
> the kernel headers though so that VMWare can compile it's modules.

# yum install kernel-devel

This is required on FC4+ as well as RHEL4+.

It accidentally occurred in 1 (or 2?) kernel update(s) on FC3, but the
official line is that the kernel-devel (/lib/modules/ver/build) begins
with FC4+ and RHEL4+.

In FC3 and earlier (including RHEL3), the "kernel" package includes
those files, which bloats the size about 2MB or so.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith@ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com