Re:

Bryan J. Smith wrote ..
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 22:07 -0600, Herbie wrote:
> > I think the entire American work ethic is insane.
>
> Well, small company, new projects/products, etc..., I'm an engineer and
> that means the company lives or dies on my work.

Wow. If you're that important to the company, then perhaps they'd be more
generous, given the criticality of your effort to their core business.
One might think that people with advanced degrees, specifically in business
administration, and who claim to have "mastered" the subject, would
be aware of this.

> What I had a problem with was -- given my "dedication" to the company --
> the "nickle'n diming" on the holidays.

Then given that the company "lives or dies" on your work, one might think
that they would be open to the notion of "comp time", which, since you
are salaried is reasonably accepted as a way to "time shift" unusual periods
of excessive required work hours.

The key words in that phrase being "unusual" and "excessive".

And if you want to work the 70+ hours a week, I sure hope that your contract
has some ironclad extraordinary benefit on the back-end for that extra-ordinary effort.

> Again, not my complaint.  I just thought it was rather pathetic how they
> want to still "nickle'n dime" people like myself by taking away the
> minimum on holidays.

Then tell your management that you are taking off the workday adjacent to the holiday.
Is there a clause in the contract that says "only when said holiday falls on a
regularly scheduled work day"? Was an adjusted schedule of company holidays for 2005
previously posted? Are there the contractually noted number of dates on that schedule?

If not, point out your criticality to their efforts, your previously demonstrated
dedication to their core business, and that you have every expectation of spending
holiday time with your family, per *their* contractual arrangement. Let them know that
this is not negotiable.

If you're not willing to stand up for your entitlements or reject poor behavior by
your employer by applying your talents elsewhere, then it is hard to have sympathy
for you. You're simply *rewarding* your employer for acting badly by accepting it,
and not demanding better of them.

Mike/