Old Debian install

> Blunier, wrote regarding 'Re: LUCI: Linux Newbie Meeting
> Tuesday 1/10' on Tue, Jan 10 at 14:36:
> [... debian install ...]
> > You can still use the old installer.  You may also be able to boot
> > knoppix in a text only mode, and run debootrstrap.
>
> How is it that one gets to this "old installer"?  I'm not yet real
> strong with Debian & its cousins, and a quick "I should be leaving
> for work now but want to know what he's talking about" google search
> for '"old installer" site:debian.org' doesn't give a lot of clues in
> the first couple of pages... :)

Every release of debian came with an installer.  If you go back to
and older release you can find the install under the main portion
of the distribution.  For example, at
ftp.debian.org://debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44

Note, that if you install an older version, but want to run the latest
version, make sure that you update the system from one version to the
next.  For instance, if you installed with Bo, upgrade from Bo to Hamm,
Hamm to Slink, Slink to Potato, potato to woody, and woody to sarge.
The older versions have less packages, but also a less automated install.
I have an old 486 laptop that I have recently reinstalled debian.  Since
it does not have a CD, I have to use floppys, the newer version would not work since I didn't have enough ram.  I installed an older version which worked, but as I upgraded to newer versions, the list of packages is so large, dselect uses up all the memory and the machine slows to a crawl swapping like mad trying to sort through the packages on an upgrade.

Mark