Re: LUCI: Linux Newbie Meeting Tuesday 1/10

Danny Sauer <sauer@cloudmaster.com> wrote:
> google search for '"old installer" site:debian.org' doesn't
> give a lot of clues in the first couple of pages... :)

I got several hits with "various ways to install Debian" and
variations on that.

In a nutshell, you:
  1)  Have to get the installer kernel to boot,
  2)  Get a "minimal" install,
  3)  Run dselect or other tools to select packages

#1 can be done with a floppy, DHCP/TFTP servers, etc...

#2 is typically a standard set of files on a FTP, NFS, etc...
installation server (which can be Internet or local) that
just gets the base system and APT-DPKG components installed.

#3 is how you start installing additional software with
APT-DPKG.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com