Re: Job searching?

Derek wrote regarding 'Re: Job searching?' on Sat, Jan 28 at 11:22:
> As for LPI cert, how many tests are there?  What are they like?
> (ie: written or lab, how long do you have?)  How much do they cost?
> What material is covered?  What books/training would you recommend?

I didn't see the format mentioned in Bryan's fairly helpful post -
they're multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank questions, and were
computer-delivered at the Pearson/Vue center I tested through.  As far
as what's covered, well, a little bit of everything.  The 200 exams
include detail on most of the services you're apt to run, the 100
exams cover basic system startup and general service admin.  It's been
close to a decade since I set up a news server, and probably 8 years
since I touched Sendmail, but they were both on the 200.  Visit
www.lpi.org for all the details you probably need.

I can't advise for or against a study source - I just looked over the
requirements, hit Google to refresh my memory on a few that I haven't
used for a while, and took the tests over 4 days of lunch breaks.
Like Bryan's blog says, LPI links to several certified preparation
programs.  I did read a review of some set of books being kinda out of
date, but I don't remember which book that was, so all this comment's
good for is a reminder to look for reviews of whatever training method
you consider *before* putting down the money.

> My goal for 2006 is to pick up a cert.  I am not sure
> if it should be LPI, RHCE, or Novell's Linux cert.

My impression from looking at ads recently (yes, I'm still looking):
I've seen one site looking for SuSE certification (they would've taken
LPI as a second choice), a few looking for generic certification, and
a bunch looking specifically for RedHat skillz.  From that, I'd agree
with the way I read Bryan's comment - the RHCE would be most likely to
be specifically requested for employment since there are so many Red
Hat shops.  Anywhere else, I'd think that something like the LPI cert
would at least help to differentiate you from other candidates.

Adequate training for the LPI exams should get you a broader range of
knowledge than the RHCE-specific training would, and I'm inclined to
believe that broad knowledge is a good thing.  So if you're looking
for generally useful knowledge, I'd point you in the direction of LPI.
Of course, you should buy Kara's book either way. ;)

--Danny, largely just posting in case Bryan's site goes up in flames
:)