Re: another network

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Roy G. Cottingham wrote:
> 10BaseT - 100 meters
> 10Base2 - 200 meters
> 10Base5 - 500 meters
>
> Max. single segment run w/o going thru a repeater.
>
> Not sure abt 100BaseT, but would assume the same 100 meter limit w/o using a
> repeater.

It's the same.  Uses the same 3-4-5 rule, IIRC.

> also on cross talk, that is why the pinout is 1,2,3, 5(or is it 6??) ,*and*
> why the wires are twisted  in each pair.
> Has somthing to do with raising the capacitance to help act as a filter. You
> could also try using shilded Twisted pair.

It's more of an "avoiding capacitance" kind of thing.  The idea behind
twisting the cables as I understand it is to keep the cables crossing each
other at as close to right angles at any given point as possible.  Using
shieled twisted pair is not reccomended for higher speed networks because
teh shielding effectively "sucks" some of the signal out.  I guess I should
actually try to remember the real reasoning, but that generalization is
close enough... :)

--Danny, who reccomends linksys stuff now due to their excelent support and
	real live linux support page.