Re: SuSE 6.1 and Audio CDs

Sean Chisek said:
> Hello.  I'm running SuSE 6.1 with a Toshiba 8X CDROM and a
> Soundblaster 16 sound card.  I'm having a bit of trouble playing
> audio CDs.  It looks as though the sound card module is loading fine
> at boot up.  I'm able to get .wav and .au sound files to play fine.
> But, I have about a 50-50 chance of being able to hear an audio CD.
> Sometimes it works okay, sometimes I don't hear anything.

I'd guess that your sound modules are being automatically unloaded out
from under you, with probably leaves your sound card in a state where
the CD audio pass-through isn't working.  There is usually a crontab
entry that does a "rmmod -a", which unloads all currently unused
modules.  Since the CD player doesn't actually touch your sound
devices, the modules appear to be unused.  If you do an lsmod (or
"cat /proc/modules") when it isn't working, you probably won't see
your sound modules.

Try loading kmix or some other mixer.  That'll force the modules to
stay loaded.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month